Job Title: Communications and Government Affairs Manager
Location: Ilupeju, Lagos
Req ID: 256574
- CGA is an integrated global support function providing communications and government affairs expertise to the business. In keeping with CGA’s role in delivering the company’s IPTc strategy, the purpose of this role is to help the business to which it is aligned, and the global group’s overall presence in (Consumer, Vaccines and GMS) deliver its objectives by driving value and engagement through industry-leading communications and strategic stakeholder interactions including with Government Officials.
- The role reports to the CGA Director, with whom overall responsibility lies for the Local Operating Company’s Communication and Government Affairs strategy
- The role primarily supports the Nigeria Pharmaceuticals and Vaccines businesses and provides corporate synergy for the Consumer Healthcare business in Nigeria as well as PSC.
- Establish solid connection and communication with respective Rx, Cx, and PSC Regional CGA teams and Global CGA stakeholders as appropriate
- Establish and maintain solid relationships and communication with the GSK Consumer PLC Shareholders.
- Provides communications expertise and implementation based on an expert understanding of the local external and internal environment
- Protects and maintains the reputation of GSK as a whole and serves as an ambassador for the GSK brand
- Maximizes the performance of Rx and Cx brands through the brilliant delivery of integrated earned media campaigns, either in-house or via external agencies
- Drives performance through engagement, attraction and retention of employees
- Under the guidance of the CGA Director, supports the GM and their leadership team as appropriate on key projects requiring strategic communications input and government engagement.
- Provides timely and valuable information that supports the GSK strategic priorities.
- Works to highlight GSK’s initiatives in building trust with external stakeholders.
- Areas of focus are Corporate Responsibility and Community Partnerships, Employee Engagement, Media Relations, Product Communications support, Crisis/Issues Management and Government Affairs.
Media Relations Responsibilities:
- Supports GSK’s reputation through effective, proactive and reactive management of media issues.
- Protects our reputation by flagging issues early and managing them effectively. Support others to do same.
- Provides a comprehensive media monitoring, analysis and distribution service.
- Responsible for facilitating media training and managing media policies.
- Reputation and Media stakeholder management
- Demonstrates that GSK Nigeria understands its stakeholder expectations, and these are factored into business planning and operations.
- Positions GSK Nigeria as a leading provider of healthcare solutions.
- Provides advice on strategic stakeholder communications
- Provides the business with research-based evidence to inform strategic reputation decision-making.
- Corporate Brand Integrity & Support
- Protects and build the value of the GSK brand by managing its integrity both internally and externally.
- Internal Communications & Engagement
- Supports the business in ensuring major change projects are effective, with GSK Nigeria’s people are informed and closely engaged
- Maintains a set of effective employee communication tools, e.g. All-Hands Meeting, e-Newsletter, Workplace and organization comms
- Community Activity Programme
- Builds recognition that GSK is a responsible corporate citizen that is actively involved in the Nigerian community.
- Ensures the community activity programmes is managed and communicated to maximise the reputation value to external and internal stakeholders.
- Manages the global GSK Community Council, including promotion of Orange Day, PULSE and Orange United.
- Crisis / Issues Management
- Provides a framework and maintains rapid and consistent flow of reliable information, both within the company and externally, to ensure that issues are fully addressed and aid a smooth return to normal operations as soon as possible.
Government & Stakeholder Engagement:
- Maintain strategic stakeholder mapping for relevant sectors impacting the GSK business
- Maintain GSK engagement and relationships with key government stakeholders as directed by the CGA Director.
- Lead the planning for selected GSK meetings with key stakeholders.
Accountability and Complexity:
- Simultaneously manage numerous concurrent projects, not all of which will be in the role holder’s control i.e. corporate reputation and issues management (this will require a constant reassessment of priorities and the ability to remain focused on outputs that deliver a clear business benefit)
- Interface with a high number of stakeholders, both external e.g. media, government departments, regulatory bodies, etc and internal. In a highly-matrix and complex environment, strong, positive relationships need to be fostered within the Cx, Rx businesses and wider GSK organization across a range of functions including, but not limited to, Legal & Compliance, Medical, Regulatory, Government Affairs, Consumer Relations, Investor Relations and Global Media. The broad nature of the role requires matrix working on nearly all projects
- Operate in an environment with a high degree of change that is fast-paced, requiring resilience and flexibility
- The role not only needs to support the development and implementation of the Area communications strategy but also to manage resources efficiently and engage various teams/functions smoothly to implement programs and projects to execute the defined strategy
- High energy, good personal credibility, strong communication skills and the ability to operate in an often-high-pressure environment are therefore essential
- Relationship with government agencies, shareholders, and communities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Candidate must have excellent communication skills – written and spoken are extremely important
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in Communications or Government Affairs roles
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- The role requires very strong communications expertise and experience (Verbal & Written skills)
- Communications generalist with extensive experience of all corporate disciplines and a track record of working across digital platforms
- Strategic thinker with potential to devise and deliver long-term, complex internal and external communication projects involving diverse businesses, functions and cultures across a variety of markets
- Ability to operate in a challenging media and stakeholder environment with proven ability to communicate confidently with national and broadcast media (traditional and digital) on consumer issues
- Proven issues management/crisis competency with the ability to operate calmly and effectively under pressure and deliver communications needs against tight time frames; must demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making skills and be able to deal with ambiguity and handle sensitive situations
- Strong interpersonal skills with the personal and professional authority and credibility to influence and advise senior management and operate across all hierarchies; leadership potential
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage PR agencies or other Agencies.
- Understand the fundamentals of engaging key Government stakeholders.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: Not Specified.
182 total views, 1 views today