Job Title: Nigeria Oil & Gas Researcher
About NRGI and the Resource Governance Index (RGI)
Countries that are rich in oil, gas, and minerals face a critical development challenge. When used well, these resources can create greater prosperity for current and future generations; used poorly, or squandered, they can cause economic instability, social conflict, and lasting environmental damage. NRGI is a non-governmental organization dedicated to helping communities and nations benefit from their countries’ endowments of oil, gas, and minerals. For more information about NRGI, please refer to this short introduction and our 2020-2025 Strategy.
NRGI produces the Resource Governance Index (RGI), a tool for measuring the quality of governance in the oil, gas and mining sectors across a range of countries with considerable oil, gas and/or mineral reserves. The RGI is based on the premise that good governance of natural resources is necessary for the successful development of countries with abundant oil, gas and minerals. It provides a diagnostic tool to help identify good practices as well as shortcomings in governance. The most recent edition of the index is the 2017 Resource Governance Index; you can learn more about the results at www.resourcegovernanceindex.org.
- Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) seeks to hire an experienced researcher to answer a questionnaire for Nigeria with respect to the oil and gas sector for the 2021 Resource Governance Index project.
- The researcher’s role will involve researching publicly available information on the transparency and accountability of the extractives sector, including government reporting and disclosure practices and information about Nigeria’s legal framework.
- The researcher will be responsible for answering a detailed questionnaire provided by NRGI for Nigeria with respect to the oil and gas sector. In order to complete the RGI questionnaire, the researcher will consult publicly available official documents.
- The researcher will provide justifications and supporting documents as evidence for their responses to the questionnaire. Once the researcher has completed the questionnaire, peer reviewers will review them for accuracy and consistency. Following peer review, the researcher will be asked to follow-up on specific questions, to provide further evidence or clarifications in response to concerns following the review.
Deliverables and Compensation
Researchers will produce the following deliverables:
- First two sub-components of the questionnaire – Due date: 6 weeks after contract start, or as agreed with NRGI
- Completed questionnaire – Due date: 14 December 2020, or as agreed with NRGI
- Completed revised questionnaire – Due date: 26 February 2021, or as agreed with NRGI
We estimate that the research of a single country-sector questionnaire will take 80 hours of work. It is, therefore, possible that the questionnaire is done full time in a short time-frame of a few weeks or done part-time over the course of several months.
It is expected that the researcher will possess the following qualifications:
- Graduate degree in Law, International Affairs, International Development, Political Sciences, Economics, or similar disciplines.
- Demonstrated desk-based research skills.
- Responsiveness to inquiries and excellent communication skills.
- Independence from government and extractive companies.
- Excellent language skills in at least one official language of the country, and English.
- Detailed knowledge of extractive industries operating in the given region.
- Familiarity with the movement for greater transparency in the extractives sector, including initiatives led by NRGI, as well as the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) and Publish What You Pay (PWYP), among others.
- Attention to detail; ability to meet deadlines.
- NRGI will compensate the researcher upon satisfactory performance of the work, assignments, and tasks outlined in the Term of Reference (this will be discussed if shortlisted).
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- If you are interested in applying, please complete the 2-step process below:
- Fill out this survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MG6Y62M
- Submit your application via the NRGI careers page
Application Deadline: 7th July, 2020.
- Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis
- Short-listed applicants will be invited to interview (on Skype or Zoom) and may then be asked to complete a short 3-question test
275 total views, 1 views today