Job Title: Operations Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2020/0024
Position: Status Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- The Operations department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the logistics, administration and procurement of goods and services for Nigeria program in Borno State. The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement, logistics and Administration activities are the prompt and effective provision of procurement, logistical and administrative solutions as well materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with Mercy Corps’ and donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
General Position Summary
- The Operations Coordinator is responsible to coordinate, supervise and ensure operations and internal control of Mercy Corps Nigeria in accordance with the latest policies and procedures. The Operations Coordinator will deputize the Operations manager and may be asked to act in the absence of the Operations Manager.
- The Operations Coordinator is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services. The Operations Coordinator will coordinate and ensure all administrative and logistics support functions for the Mercy Corps program in Borno State. The successful candidate is expected to travel 50% of his/her time to deep field offices and to program implementation sites to strengthen the skills of logistics and program support staff and ensure compliance with Mercy Corps systems.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy and Vision:
- Provide operational support, coordination, supervision and monitoring activities designed to meet program objectives;
- Implement and enforce relevant Mercy Corps operations systems and policies for field offices in NE.
- Contribute to the country strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Coordinate effectively with Mercy CorpsТ Procurement, Administration and Logistics team members to ensure that overall operations structure reflects the best practices
- The Operations Coordinator will be responsible for the proper functioning of all administration and logistics functions and for the full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems, processes compliance and control with regard to the following:
- Ensure Admin. Systems are implemented as outlined in the Field Administration Manual.
- Oversee appropriate file management for administration and logistics resources documents.
- Oversee facility management, including housing and office leases; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises.
- Be responsible for any necessary expatriate work permits and travel/movement management.
- Supervise Administrative Officer
- Ensure warehouse procedures are followed as described in the Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
- Establish and maintain a pipeline of supplies, overseeing the logistical aspects of the operation; oversee commodity storage and movements as needed.
- Supervise the fleet management team and ensure systems to track maintenance, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling.
- Liaise with finance to ensure compliance and payment schedules; maintain service contracts.
- Coordinate logistical (non-program) aspects of material aid projects and associated shipments; manage importation and customs clearance elements. Oversee equipment registration, licensing, etc.
- Ensure the maintenance of inventory records of materials and materials flow and oversee the tracking of all non-expendable property, assets, and equipment
- Maintain safe and secure facilities (offices, guesthouses, warehouses) by overseeing the responsibilities of hired security guards
- Brief guards and drivers on any immediate security threats and provide training as necessary, facilitate any incident reporting requirements as required,
- Ensure that Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with country law and Mercy Corps/donor policies;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Work with Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and operation of necessary systems, including travel to field offices in order to provide hands-on practical training to staff;а
Implement and enforce relevant Mercy Corps operations systems and policies for field offices in NE.
- Facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurements.
- Assist teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Mercy Corps has zero tolerance of every form of abuse and expects team members, operations and programs to do no harm to the people and communities with which we work or put anyone, especially vulnerable populations at risk of abuse or exploitation.
- Operations Officer, Administrative Officer, Logistics Officer
- Reports Directly To: Operations Manager
- Works Directly With: Program and Finance teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain/logistics/operations Management discipline, business administration, public administration, commerce etc.,
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in operational coordination and support functions with an international non-governmental organization or in the private sector;
- Experience in overseeing logistics operations and systems;
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing complex administration and operational systems;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience leading teams in humanitarian assistance and development field;
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies;
- Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff;
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and computer skills in Microsoft Office applications are required;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Proven records of successful training and capacity building of staff;
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (particularly Mercy Corps procurement systems) is desirable;
- Ability and willingness to travel to unstable areas of Borno state and operate comfortably in these areas.
- Ability to maintain high integrity in performing assigned responsibilities, excellent problem-solving skills, and ability to act as an intermediary between program and operations staff to ensure smooth process flow while maintaining a balance between program implementation and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies Fast thinker and creative problem-solving.
- Flexibility and creativity in planning. Ability to take initiative, learn quickly and be accountable for results. Ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work.
- Even temperament and a good sense of humour. Ability to get along and familiarize with nuanced roles and personalities. High-security awareness.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: 31st May, 2020.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
113 total views, 1 views today