Job Title: Media Relations and Communication Officer (Francophone), PCER1
Job Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50050125
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group.
- Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units, including the Office of the President; the Independent Development Evaluation Department; the Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; the Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; the Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; the Administrative Tribunal; the Office of the Auditor-General; the Group Risk Management Directorate; the General Counsel and Legal Services Department; the Communication and External Relations Department; the Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary-General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department/Division:
- The purpose of the Communication and External Relations Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations – PCER.1, the incumbent will liaise with media houses and be responsible for disseminating information to the press to raise awareness around the Bank’s mission, policies, projects and achievements in a positive, consistent and credible manner.
- He will also support the editorial team in writing media advisories, press releases and media briefing kits and other collaterals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations – PCER.1, the Francophone Media Relations and Communication Officer has the following responsibilities:
- Respond to and follow through on requests for information from the media, determining appropriate, accurate responses and appropriate contacts for response.
- Disseminate press releases and external communication of information through various media that are designed to keep the public informed of the Bank’s accomplishments or points of view.
- Selects top-tier media outlets for dissemination of thematic op-eds by the Bank’s senior management.
- Cultivate and maintain knowledge of and relationships with key news media at local, pan-African and international levels.
- Develop, update and maintain media contact lists/ database.
- Prepare media monitoring reports on mentions of the Bank in international, pan-African and French-speaking media.
- Pitch and solicit press interest in a range of Bank projects, products and issues through interview opportunities with the Bank’s President, Vice Presidents, Directors and Regional Directors, etc.
- Write media advisories.
- Prepare daily press digest for the Bank’s internal audiences.
- Organize general media engagement activities and large media events with up to 200 journalists:
- Editors’ roundtables
- Training sessions for journalists
- Project site visits
- Media breakfasts, stakeholder events, statutory and press conferences, etc.
Coordinate all logistics for press events:
- Manage Bank media center during Bank statutory events (Annual Meetings, Africa Investment Forum, Africa Economic Conference):
- Responding to media requests
- Alerting journalists about key events to cover (press conferences, media briefings)
- Ensuring logistics for journalists between conference venue and hotels
- Distributing media advisories and interview schedules
- Facilitating interview opportunities
- Support the editorial team in writing media advisories, press releases and media briefing kits and other collaterals.
- Keep up-to-date with all issues that affect the Bank.
- Ensure PCER’s subscription to key newspapers and magazines and to other communication-related services is maintained: following up on contract renewals, payment of invoices.
- Other communications and external relations duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Hold a Master’s Degree in Communication, Journalism or related areas.
- Have a minimum four (4) years of experience in media relations (preferably in multilateral development banks).
- Journalistic background with strong written and verbal communication skills, able to deliver clear, concise information tailored to specific and varied audiences.
- Proven experience in event planning or event coordination in a corporate environment.
- Good overall knowledge of communication and media platforms.
- Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude and work with a team or independently with little guidance in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint.)
- Excellent command of French (written and spoken). Working knowledge of English would be an added advantage.
- Excellent organizational, negotiation, and multitasking skills.
- Able to quickly blend into and maintain a smooth working relationship with a multilingual team.
- Be able to work efficiently under stress.
- Detail-oriented and organized, ensuring quality and consistent output.
- Ability to effectively solve problems, think creatively, make decisions and act, exercising independent judgment.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified International status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever
Application Deadline: 6th June, 2020
384 total views, 1 views today